Wednesday, September 10, 2014

up where they stay all day in the sun








"We had this idea of a girl on a pier...
One of my favorite designing duos of all time is Kate and Laura Mulleavy of Rodarte. The California born-and-raised (and Cal alum!) designers known for their frothy dresses returned to some of their childhood roots for inspiration for their Spring 2015 Ready-to-Wear show. Their latest collection, which hit the catwalk at New York Fashion Week on Tuesday, channels the dreamy allure of a kingdom by the sea with fishnet textiles, aquamarine sequins and gossamer skirt hems that look as if they had gotten caught on jagged rocks by the seashore. 

You don't have to look far to see how this collection was inspired by the Monterrey tide pools teeming with underwater life. “We wanted to re-create the texture of those underwater tide pools to explore this idea of underwater worlds, with all the movement and fluidity,” Kate explains. Set against a Swarovski crystal backdrop and pale blue stage lights, this glammed up mermaid look is tied together by the bands of sailor stripes and structured lace-up pirate boots, and the result is a perfect blend of fantasy and fashion. This is the world I wish I could be a part of: clothes like these that make me want to escape to fairy tales edged with sea foam and siren songs again, if only for a little while.

Now that school is back in session, I'm busier than I've ever been in my life. I'm taking four full academic-unit courses again this semester: elementary ancient/Attic Greek, classical political economy theory, security and risk management, an introduction to the solar system, and a film seminar on the Coen brothers oeuvre. I'm also in the process of filing paperwork to finally declare my double major in political economy and classical civilizations this semester, which was more work than I had anticipated after all of my original concentration ideas I had weren't enough...does it surprise you that I've been getting up at 6AM (7, if I'm being generous) and sleeping at 1AM on an almost daily basis? I wish there were more hours in a day so I could do everything I set out to accomplish.

Still, a part of me is glad that I have so much on my hands at the moment; it keeps me from dwelling on how empty I've been feeling ever since I got back from the UK. I don't know why—if there's nothing missing in my life, why can't I seem to get rid of this feeling that I need to do and be more than I am already? More of what, I'm not sure; all I'm sure of is that I can't feel this hollow forever. For now, I'll have my mermaid melodies and noun declensions to sustain me. 

xoxo, vivian

Images from this post were taken from: "Behind the Scenes: Rodarte" by CR Fashion Book and Yannis Vlamos for Vogue.com coverage of Rodarte Spring 2015 RTW.

3 comments:

  1. Love Rodarte and love this collection, you can totally see their inspiration.
    I understand what it is to be busy 24/7, I hope you can find some time to relax soon :)
    Thanks for visiting my blog <3 x

    http://www.stylebydeb.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian, this post is perfectly written, I love the way u've described the collection with such enthusiasm and great appreciation for beauty. Rrodarte is truly one of my favourite collections during NYFW and i've been watching so many times either on utube or fashion TV, in love with the vision for the collection, such fairy tale created and very ethereal <3 The designs are so classy, chic and so glamorous and the textile seems so luxurious xx Hope u've been doing well with ur schoolwork and really glad 2 know ur feeling better after the trip from the UK, even though u must have felt knackered everyday with the exhausting sleeping pattern xx Have a lovely week, darling xx

    lennylinhpham.blogspot.co.uk
    xoxo
    Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible style and blog! :)

    I would like to invite you to my blog! I would be so happy if we support each other on GFC, Facebook and maybe Instagram! I will support you right back, just let me know!

    Blog | Facebook Page | Bloglovin | Instagram

    ReplyDelete