Friday, June 6, 2014

a chameleon soul


One of my favorite films I watched in my French New Wave cinema class this semester was Wong Kar Wai's Fallen Angels (1995). Even though the film obviously wasn't a part of the actual New Wave movement (the "not French" and "made in the nineties" probably gave that away), Wong was influenced by the unique attention to aesthetic paid by New Wavers of the sixties. Unlike a lot of the black-and-white scenes of the French predecessors, Wong had the advantage of filming in color and was able to saturate his Hong Kong with buzzing neon signs looming above his three protagonists. Even though Vogue China's "Beijing Romance" editorial depicts a much cleaner love affair, I'm kind of in love with this idea of how people change under the glow of artificial lights.

I don't know if it's because I grew up and am currently stuck in a pretty boring suburb and want out already, but all of my daydreams lately have been lit with flashes of neon signs and cold reflections on spotless glass windows. Although I live less than twenty miles out from Seattle and could technically just drive downtown if I wanted to (BECAUSE I JUST GOT MY DRIVER'S LICENSE TODAY *celebrates*), the aesthetic difference of the metropolitan life I think I crave and the quiet cul-de-sacs of houses facing the Puget Sound feels like a world apart.

I talk about escape a lot, but what I think it all really boils down to is a desire to escape myself. It's never really so much about the cityscapes seen from 24th floors above or strawberry mint lemonades at seaside cafes as it is a chance to do something outside of my comfort zone. Maybe that's what draws me to the stories told in films like Lost in Translation or Before Sunrise: I keep thinking to myself that if only I could get out of here and go someplace far away, I might be a different person with better stories to tell. Just you wait: I'll be in England in a month from now, and I plan on making it the time of my life.

For now, I'm still working on finding a balance between relaxing and not letting myself waste away. I spent my first week or so back from school catching up on sleep, but it turns out that there is a such thing as too much of a good thing: I made myself sick from overindulging in sleeping, eating, and lethargy. After a week of doing nothing, I promised myself that I would try and accomplish something every day. I'm still trying to get back into the habit of blogging regularly again (it's been a couple years since I could bust out a post in a week) but I'll tell you what: I'm going to try to continue to post my favorite fashion editorials and ad campaigns on Fridays. In the meantime, I hope you all are well!

xoxo, vivian

Images from this post were taken from "Beijing Romance" by Peter Lindbergh for Vogue China June 2011

15 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics!
    Love Natalia and I am a big fan of Wong Kar Wai!

    www.bstylevoyage.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow such a lovely post! great job x

    Visit my blog? xx Miss Beatrix (http://missbeatrix.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi beautiful,
    I was just browsing through & stumbled upon your lovely blog - It looks gorgeous and it has interesting posts that I can relate to.
    Do you want to follow each other on GFC and social media?
    Let me know, so I can follow you back.
    http://xoxocitygirl.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm following you! Like me FB page for more fashion inspiration!

    Joanna
    snobpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fancy pictures.. Pearls are my favorite!
    roseylittleme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I read a few of your posts and you're a great writer. I would love for us to follow each other! What is you most favorite foreign film you've seen? I think one of my favorites would have to Bon Voyage. It's not very deep but the story is really entertaining. I want to see some of these films that you've reviewed on your site. They sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely combination of white dress and pearls! Seems so pure and sophisticated!
    Very nice written...like your toughtsI follow you back baby :D Kisses :*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for commenting on my blog you blog is so fabulous!
    I have followed you, follow back!

    http://fashioncrazy-abby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear, your blog is amazing! i’m impressed by your design & photos!
    everything is magnificent!

    will be happy to see you in my blog)

    www.dianacloudlet.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and inspiring pictures! And congrats on your licence... It is quite a marvelous thing to be able to drive yourself around:)
    xo Olivia

    ReplyDelete