Friday, May 30, 2014

I found my love in portofino




Even though I've been home for two weeks now, it didn't start feeling like summer until the warm weather and sunshine slowly seeped back into my life again. I'll admit I was looking forward to coming back to rain (if only so I had an excuse to watch TV all day) (which I did), but it would be poor taste to not appreciate how nice the Pacific Northwest gets around this time of year. I think this is a sign that I'm getting old: I always have to pause and remind myself that I need to enjoy this while it lasts, especially because I really just don't know how much time I'll spend at home in Seattle in the years to come. 

For example: who would have predicted that I'd be studying abroad in London this summer a year ago?! Even though I've been making these plans for months now, I still can't believe I'm jetting off to England in a month's time. It's been almost three years since I traveled overseas and four since I traveled to Europe; my wanderlust has only grown and it feels surreal that I'm about to start traveling again. 

When I was younger I used to read a lot of books about super rich kids (think Gossip Girl and other such stories that follow the Cecily von Ziegesar oeuvre) who spent their summers in the Hamptons and the Côte d'Azur with shiny yachts and Cavalli couture. That kind of life was always just so fascinating to me with its extravagance and indulgence—their vacations were nearly unimaginable for a suburban girl like me. I guess it's good I've only ever lived vicariously through the rose-tinted lenses of books and TV shows though: at the end of the day, I think I'd prefer sitting and reading in a cafe by the French Riviera and observe than actually participate in that kind of excessiveness (although I definitely wouldn't mind a closet full of cruise collections).

Anyways, the Dior Cruise 2012 ad campaign is probably one of my all-time favorite Dior Ready-to-Wear collections to date. It captures so many elements I love about Dior, from the way the color palette perfectly complements the colors of Portofino itself to the way its designs embody the femininity and romance Dior is known for. 

I highly recommend watching the short film shot by Ellen von Unwerth for this collection (embedded below). Jac Jagaciak in this film reminded me a bit of a more polished and elegant Brigitte Bardot in And God Created Woman (1956), although if we're going to talk Dior channeling Bardot, Tim Walker's Dior Addict 2012 campaign with Daphne Groeneveld embodies more of that brand of carefree liberation. 



I'm not even going to deny or make excuses for the fact that my blogging has gone from sporadic to seemingly non-existent in the last year, so I've made myself a resolution for at least my month left back home before I'm off across the pond: I will be posting here twice a week, with fashion posts on Fridays and film/literature/TV/life/etc. posts on Tuesdays. It'll make me feel like I'm accomplishing something in my month off from school, yeah? ;) I hope you all are having a lovely post-Memorial Day start to summer! 

xoxo, vivian

Images from this post were taken from "I Found My Love in Portofino" by Ellen von Unwerth for Christian Dior Cruise 2012.

15 comments:

  1. So happy you commented on my blog & I've found yours! :) Love this post. The Dior add campaign is gorgeous! Your trip abroad sounds FABULOUS! Looking forward to reading more posts, and I'm following you now on GFC! Thanks so much for commenting on my blog & following me!

    XOXO
    Ashley
    ashleyspassionforfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advertisement doll.
    http://tifi11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photos! :) I follow your blog, follow back?
    stylizacje-dla-ciebie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. that campaign is amazing! :)
    anyway, sure dear! let's follow each other. but will you please do it first then let me know when you're done and i'll surely do the same. i just want to make sure! ;D

    xoxo, rae
    http://www.raellarina.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! followed back :) and omg. you like The Great Gatsby too? :)))

      Delete
  5. Such an amazing, dreamy campaign, love it!

    mymakeupmemoire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those books truly made one imagine of a haute couture type of life! This is a beautiful campaign that truly depicts that thought. Thanks so much for stopping by, wishing you positivity in your week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! Those pictures and the video are divine! So inspiring!

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a really cool campaign and you are so lucky to be off to London this summer!
    You are going to have so much fun there and yes, you should enjoy your time in Settle as much as you can! Even if you feel lazy, go out for a walk and take everything in! (trust me, I get lazy ALL the time too hehe!) It's crazy how fast time is going by!!
    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this campaign!! Exciting that you're going to London hope you have an amazing time!!

    xox
    Catty Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this editorial shoot! hope you have a good time in england!xx

    ReplyDelete