Wednesday, March 12, 2014

that kind of luxe just ain't for us














I never knew grocery shopping in couture was what was missing from my life until the Chanel Fall 2014 RTW show debuted at the Grand Palais in Paris last week, and lemme tell you, this collection was instant theia mania for me. After weeks of dreamy dresses in a succession of fashion weeks littered with Hollywood awards ceremonies in between (particularly loved the ethereal Valentino Spring 2014 Haute Couture collection, schoolgirl-cool Miu Miu Fall 2014 RTW collection, and this year's Academy Award red carpet turnout), this season's Chanel show was the refreshing break I needed from the prettiness I've come to expect. 

While I love my Elie Saab gowns and Oscar de la Renta confections as much as the next fashion aficionado, the bold patterns and Pop Art consumer-culture roots of Karl's latest spectacle makes this my favorite show of the season by far because it reminded me of why I fell in love with fashion in the first place. The bright, gaudy colors transformed the mass-market consumer culture into something bold and a little fantastical: if only my grocery shopping trips were filled with Chanel tweeds and the only stylish high-rise sneakers I've ever come across.

It's this excessive attention to detail, from the sweatpants ripped just-so and jackets with neo-corset midriff insets to the 500+ repackaged and relabeled supermarket goods, that turned the mundanity of rolling a shopping cart down florescent-lit aisles into a glamorous affair. I think the most important question that needs to be asked at this point is this: why haven't I gone to Safeway dressed to the nines for no good reason at all yet?!

Ha. I actually have to go grocery shopping for like the first time this semester next week; I have a week and a half left of school before spring break, and the most glamorous plan I have as of yet is to go to the supermarket because the dining halls will be closed and I can't afford to eat out every day. (I know, my life sounds really exciting, doesn't it?) There are worse things than "being stuck" in California for a week without lectures to attend—I'm sure my friends and I will make some spontaneous plans for an adventure soon. 

xoxo, vivian

Images from this post were taken from: Chanel Fall/Winter 2014 by The Satorialist; Sisley Fall 2010 ad campaign; "Impressions Fortes" by Naomi Yang for Glamour France February 2014; Noel for Chi City Fashion

4 comments:

  1. Oh what a great post, love this colorful pictures!
    I follow you already on gfc with pleasure, of course I follow you on bloglovin :-)

    xoxo Kira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliantly scripted Post, As much as I loved the creativity of the set and the grocery store items, I am not a huge fan of the collection. You are so thoughtful to stop by...Happy Friday sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, well, I clearly need to pick up my game while grocery shopping, haha! this is SUCH a fun layout, and i love all the creative pictures (like the one model in the freezer, haha). I love the electric colors and fun prints, too- it's so playful!

    xo marlen
    Messages on a Napkin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the concept of this show too! Very cool
    xx
    www.JuneWantsItAll.com

    ReplyDelete