Friday, December 20, 2013

a study in scarlet





I know what you're thinking: red? for the holidays? groundbreaking. but you have to admit that there's something magical about the way crimson offsets the grayscale December weather around this time of year. This season definitely demonstrated its passion for red: Dolce & Gabbana's Fall/Winter Ready-to-Wear collection was a nod to the Renaissance filled with cardinal reds and golden crowns bedecked with rubies; Valentino took its signature color and turned out an entire line exclusively comprised of clothes ranging from shades of scarlet to burgundy in their Shanghai Collection in celebration of a new store opening; and let's not forget the always stunning gowns at Elie Saab's Fall/Winter Haute Couture show and the gown I love so much I featured it twice in this post.

Maybe it's just because I just landed in Seattle yesterday afternoon and woke up to a view of snow blanketing the streets this morning, but colors look less vivid here without the sunshine to brighten the landscape. Nonetheless, I genuinely enjoy this change of scenery (although I wouldn't mind if it was a bit warmer than freezing) and it's nice to be back home after four months. It never really hit me that the semester was over even during finals week while I was at Berkeley because of the constant sunshine: how could it possibly be mid-December when it's still 60°F and sunny all the time?

At least now that I'm home I finally have an excuse to stay indoors! Cold, wet weather is the best weather to read or marathon TV to, and I have a pretty ambitious list of things I can do without having to move for hours on end. I've already spent today catching up on some of the TV shows I started and couldn't keep up with (I'm watching The Carrie Diaries, Downton Abbey, Elementary, Reign, Revenge, Sherlock and Witches of East End this season), and I may or may not have planned to start more shows this break...

xoxo, vivian

Images from this post were taken from: Le Bal des Debutantes photographed by Jane Aldridge; "7" by Anna "Shakti" Shakina; "Valentino Haute Couture" by Gian Paolo Barbieri for Vogue Italia March 2013; "The Paris Issue" by Antidote Magazine Fall/Winter 2013; "The Season of Grandeur" by Federico de Angelis for Mojeh November/December 2012; "Eleganza Gipsy" by Zoltan Tombor for Grazia October 2010; "Couture Adventure" by Jumbo Tsui for Harper's Bazaar China December 2013

11 comments:

  1. So what turned out to be the difference between scarlet and crimson?
    Although I don't know that much about fashion, I love the dresses, especially second to the last one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. scarlet is a bright orange-ish red, while crimson is a dark deep red!

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    Wonderful post!
    Would you like to follow each other? (GFC, facebook, bloglovin)
    If so, please let me know, I will follow you back immediately. :)
    xoxo

    http://narvaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO many stunning dresses, love the drama of the colour red! Wishing you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! May it filled with joy, love, peace and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! :) OMG! Many amazing dresses! So inspiring blogpost! :)) I'm impressed by the dresses ;)) Merry Christmas! :) Have a nice holidays!
    Would you like to follow each other via gfc, facebook and bloglovin? ;) Let me know, I'll follow back ;)) And could you please click on 2 banners on the right side of my blog? ;)) It'll be very nice ;)

    Kisses and hugs,
    Marentora :)
    www.marentora-everdream.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. stunning photos, and those dresses are breathtaking!
    Happy New Year Doll!
    yuliconversations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I love me some bold bright colors in these cold dreary days too so bring on the reds and the crimsons.:) And yes, this weather was made for TV watching, I can't glue myself away from the couch.:D

    Hope you have a lovely celebration, babe, and enjoy the new year!;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are gorgeous! i watch a lot of the same shows :)

    xx fameliquorlove

    ReplyDelete
  8. All these are stunning! I really love a bold red for the holidays as it matches perfectly with the holidays! The last dress is my favorite.
    hehe looking at all these dresses have me thinking about prom! =)
    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. these dresses are amazing !!!
    xoxo

    www.mychoicebysorana.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete