Monday, June 10, 2013

I think I'll miss you forever

I was a high school student the last time I posted here, but since then...I've officially graduated high school!

My best friend and I after the graduation ceremony. I'm the one in black because that's the color of my soul
Looking back, these last two weeks are a blur of Sharpies in yearbooks, sunshine, iced chai tea lattes and shiny polyester gowns. I'm actually kind of disappointed by how few tears were shed all around—what happened to this being the best years of your life? Maybe I'm not as sad as I should be because I'm just really glad I won't have to get up at 6:30 AM every morning for a really, really long time. I'm only kind of kidding, but I know I'll miss high school, even though I wasn't the most popular or the prettiest or the smartest or whichever group is supposed to enjoy these years the most. Just the other day, I found myself missing the learning when I was throwing out my old class notes for English and government, so I guess it's a good thing I still have at least four more years of school ahead!

But anyways, now that my summer break has finally started, I've decided to put together a fairly modest list of things I want to do in the coming months:

1. Sing at a karaoke bar
You know, like in Lost in Translation. Because what says existential crisis better than lyrics on screen and a side of fried chicken?
Okay. I'm cheating a little here: I already did this two nights ago at a Korean place with technicolor disco lights and a control panel I didn't know how to work. (Luckily I went with Korean friends who knew what they were doing). It was fun, despite being awful at singing and having no idea what was going on when my friends picked Korean and Japanese songs, but hey, isn't being a little lost a part of what makes the experience interesting? ;)

2. Get a driver's license
I swear I am the only suburban high school graduate who has never driven a car in her life (so far). I tell myself it's because I never had time to take driver's ed (required for all learners under the age of 18) because I was off at debate camp every summer (you can tell that I just ooze cool, can't you?) and busy with like 234245 different extracurriculars but I'm pretty sure I just like making excuses for my laziness. But my first permit came in the mail a few days ago, so I'm technically legal to get into the driver's seat and start practicing! Hopefully I'll finally be licensed by the end of summer and before I head off to college.

3. Read. A lot.
This one isn't that interesting either, but I always try and read as much as I can during the summer when I have time. Currently on my reading list are the remaining A Song of Ice and Fire books, Haruki Murakami's 1Q84, and Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita. I'm actually in the middle of reading Lolita right now, and I'm really liking it! Everything from the summer vibes to the seductive narration feels both so right and so wrong right now. And I mean if it isn't a little provocative and well written, then what's the point, eh?

4. See at least one movie at the Crest Cinema Center
What I want to know is why I didn't even know such a wonderful place existed until a few weeks ago. I mean, movies!! At a theater!! For only $3!! I can't even get a latte at Starbucks for that price, let alone a movie ticket at the theaters near the mall. This will probably definitely be the first place I go once I get licensed.

5. Make elaborate breakfasts
Since this will be the first summer that I actually have time to sit around and enjoy, why not make waffles and fruit salads and pastries fresh from the oven? After a school year of just oatmeal and fried eggs, I'm in the mood for more something more decadent and delicious. (I have a feeling this one won't last though—I'll probably get too lazy to make yummy food every morning.) (But it's worth a shot, right?)

6. Go places
I don't even care where. The beach, in all its stony and sandless glory (this is Washington state after all, not sunny California). A friend's house. Another friend's house. The mall. University district. Parks with swings, because some killjoy took down the swings in the park closest to where I live. Random business complexes with cute restaurants and bubble tea bars. Anywhere, as long as I actually get out of the house a few days a week.

Yeah. I know my summer plans aren't huge and elaborate, but I hope it'll be fun all the same. Let me know what your plans are this summer, or if you have any book or movie recommendations (especially ones with great summer vibes!), please please give them to me! I'm always looking for new things to love.

xoxo, vivian

6 comments:

  1. ueee!! that must be an amazing feeling:) congratulations and all the best for the future:)

    lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faaaaaaaabulous post! I especially like that last suggestion...go exploring :) I like to use http://www.atlasobscura.com/ to find cool places in my area!

    xoxo
    www.PardonMyFashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done sweety and congratulations!! Wishing you everything of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey hey, I am a month late but here's my SUPER CONGRATULATIONS on going to Uni life! And it's awesome that you have your list to go about <3 What's life without fulfilling goals and things that you want =P

    Thank you so much, Vivian for your kind comment and warm welcome <3 It really melts my heart to see you leaving such nice comments for me.

    We will be seeing each other often! =P And no more pigging out! I mean yes,occasionally here and there but we shall be around, yeah? <3

    mish
    www.mishberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete