Thursday, April 4, 2013

"you win or you die"

oh, Jon Snow...

I didn't expect to like Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire this much. And judging by the reactions I've gotten from people who know me in real life (I think the fact that I differentiate between real life friends and internet friends means I spend too much time on the internet...), no one expected me to like this series this much either.

Let's take a moment to think about this: the only TV shows I've watched with regularity in the last half decade (I stream everything online) have been Gossip Girl, Revenge, and The Carrie Diaries. The last time I read anything in the fantasy genre was in 2007 when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out. Most of my favorite films are cinematic and contemplative—or, as my action-hungry movie-watching friends would say, "slow paced." As a Chinese-American suburban high school girl, I am about 82.7% sure that George R.R. Martin did not create the series with my demographic in mind.

But nevermind demographics (I remember reading that the average viewer of the show is a 41 year old male...hmmm...). I'll admit, I did have a pretty hard time getting into A Game of Thrones at first. It's been a while since I've read a book (did I say book? I meant tome) of that size with so many protagonists and foreign names of places, but once I got into it, I began to understand why this series is so immensely popular.

I was asked the other day what I liked about it, and my response made me realize that I liked it for all the same reasons I like all of my favorite films and novels—the characters are heartbreakingly human, caught in epic journeys greater than them all. I may have only read the first book and watched the first season (I'm ridiculous about reading books before watching adaptions, and I'm still waiting for A Clash of Kings to come before I'll let myself watch season 2), but I'm addicted already. And I promise (oh, promises! I'll certainly do my best to keep this one) I'll give a full review of the series once I finally catch up on the rest of the published A Song of Ice and Fire books!

a map of Westeros
On a different note, the show is spectacular as well. Although I'm normally one of those "the books are better!" people, I was blown away by how visually stunning the first season was.  The difficulty with high fantasy literature is the incredible amount of world-building required: the alternate universe created not only has to be original, but also has to echo familiarity that its readers can identify with. I think one of the main reasons I struggled with the book when I first started was because I couldn't quite imagine what Westeros was like; even constantly referring back to the map at the front of the book wasn't enough.

Seeing it all in action helped a lot with my appreciation. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one who thought so. I mean, it's got to be pretty good in terms of aesthetics if Helmut Lang's Fall 2012 collection was inspired by it. :)
"The starting point of inspiration for Fall 2012 came from a modern interpretation of the Game of Thrones guardians. Their dual existence of forest life and a stark, minimal world is embodied in the mixing of hard and soft fabrics, tree-bark printed leather, and minimal body-conscious silhouettes." 
- Nicole and Michael Colovos, creative directors at Helmut Lang
Here are some of my favorites:




Tell me, have you read and/or watched Game of Thrones, and how do you feel about its presence in popular culture?

xoxo, vivian

images from this post are taken from HELMUT LANG JOURNAL, nosculconcept and style.com.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a big big fan of Game of Thrones, and have watched all 2 seasons, and am eagerly anticipating the next episode of season 3! Although I usually prefer to read the books first before watching the show, I'm resisting the urge to pick up the book because the show is too epic, and I don't want to know what happens next...until it happens! Guess we are in opposite positions then :)

    ps LOVE the Helmut Lang's collection!

    x Gi
    alibimag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post, that fashion show is such a chic! <3

    www.cinwilsoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Viv! I've been good! What about you? Was just remembering you the other day when I was watching a movie based on Seattle and was trying to remember the name of the Space Needle. Was gonna tweet you to ask you but decided to google it instead. I like Game of Thrones too but I didn't find it as engrossing as everyone claims it is. I feel it appeals to men more. I love The Walking Dead and Pretty Little Liars though
    xx
    www.JuneWantsItAll.com

    ReplyDelete