Sunday, April 21, 2013

road trip americana








I think I've made a pretty well-rounded set of summer memories over the course of my childhood and adolescence, from the horseback riding and tennis lessons I took as a kid, to the splattering of summer camps I attended, and even a trip or two to China and the western Mediterranean. But sometimes, I can't help but to feel cheated of the whole summer nostalgia experience because I've never been on a proper road trip.

Like Westerns and drive-in movie theaters, there's something so inherently American about a road trip across the country. Since the creation of the Interstate Highway System in 1956, millions of families have driven under the unending open sky in search of adventure and new discoveries. Everything about the idea of it tastes like nostalgia-in-the-making, from the diners older than your parents that serve the best vanilla milkshakes you've ever tasted (or a newly-built McDonald's and the prospect of sharing some French fries) to the secrets spilled underneath the stars after the day finally cools (or at the only motel you could find on the side of the road).

I think the closest thing to a road trip that I've taken was last June, when I went to Indianapolis for nationals for debate. My coach booked our flight from Seattle to Saint Louis, so we had to rent a car and drive the four and a half hours up to Indiana. Looking back, it's all just a blur of air conditioning, illuminated crosses next to the highway, and one late-night Sonic stop where everything looked a little green from the florescent lights. I think the other kids in the van were watching The Searchers at some point during the drive for the film studies unit in English, but I don't really remember...It was a long trip, and I'm pretty sure I slept through most of it!

Lately I've been drawn to the kind of style that goes with road trips: cotton dresses, denim cutoffs, thin cardigans and giant sunglasses. Oh, sunglasses! I went everywhere last summer in my knock-off Wayfarers, and I can't wait for sunshine just to wear them around again. As much as people associate rain with Seattle, the weather between June and September is fantastic: even Shakespeare would've had to think twice to comparing a young maiden to a summer's day if he lived here, because nothing is more lovely or more temperate than a summer in Seattle.

What are your summer plans? Are any of you going on a road trip?

xoxo, vivian

Images from this post were taken from: yaitsrachael"On the Road" by Paul Jasmin for Glamour Germany October 2012, "Two for the Road" by Corrie Bond for Marie Claire Australia December 2012,  Zeb Andrews fran├žois duquesnoyYerse Spring/Summer 2012, Urban Outfitters Spring 2013 lookbook, Feargal Norton"On the Road" by Teen Vogue March 2013, and "In Back of the Real" by Stephen Shore for AnOther Magazine Spring/Summer 2006

11 comments:

  1. i love everything about a road-trip :) if it was possible, I'd live my whole life that way, with a few friends, on the road...*sigh*

    great post, following you now xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi sweetie! Following your new blog now too :)
    xx
    www.JuneWantsItAll.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, there's something very 'American' about roadtrips. It's been a dream of mine to take one since I watch Rainman (if I only I could find someone who could count cards for me LOL). I just love the entire vibe of a roadtrip (especially an American road trip).. it's almost... hippiesh?

    But seriously, love the way you write. Would you like to follow each other?

    WWW.ROXTHEFOX.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girlie. These inspirations are fabulous! I love vintage looks, unfortunately can never pull them off...
    Anyway, was wondering if you would like to follow each other? :)
    Please let me know.
    YuliConversationS.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a doll! Thank you for you comments and for following. Happy to follow you back :) Please stay in touch ok?
      YuliConversations.blogspot.com

      Delete
  5. Hello I'am Chris From France!!
    You Have A Wonderful Blog Which I Consider To Be Registered In International Blog Dictionary. You Will Represent Your Country
    Please Visit The Following Link And Comment Your Blog Name
    Blog Url
    Location Of Your Country Operating In Comment Session Which Will Be Added In Your Country List
    http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/
    Happy Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from France
    I am very happy to welcome you!
    Your blog has been accepted in North America United States of America n°583 a minute!
    We ask you to follow the blog "Directory"
    Following our blog will gives you twice as many possibilities of visits to your blog!
    Thank you for your understanding.
    On the right side, in the "green list", you will find all the countries and if you click them, you will find the names of blogs from that Country.
    Invite your friends to join us in the "directory"!
    The creation of this new blog "directory" allows a rapprochement between different countries, a knowledge of different cultures and a sharing of different traditions, passions, fashion, paintings, crafts, cooking,
    photography and poetry. So you will be able to find in different countries other people with passions similar to your ones.
    We are fortunate to be on the Blogspot platform that offers the opportunity to speak to the world.
    The more people will join, the more opportunities everyone will have. And yes, I confess, I need people to know this blog!
    You are in some way the Ambassador of this blog in your Country.
    This is not a personal blog, I created it for all to enjoy.
    SO, you also have to make it known to your contacts and friends in your blog domain: the success of this blog depends on all Participants.
    So, during your next comments with your friends, ask them to come in the 'Directory' by writing in your comments:
    *** I am in the directory come join me! ***
    You want this directory to become more important? Help me to make it grow up!
    Your blog is in the list North America United States of America n°583 and I hope this list will grow very quickly
    Regards
    Chris
    We ask that you follow our blog and place a badge of your choice on your blog, in order to introduce the "directory" to your friends.
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/09/06/12090603083012502810288938.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/19/120319072128505749603643.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/07/12/12071211040212502810092867.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/28/120328020518505749640557.gif
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/03/15/1203150723211250289584870.png
    http://nsm05.casimages.com/img/2012/09/21/12092110155912502810343002.gif

    If you want me to know the blog of your friends, send me their urls which allows a special badge in the list of your country
    I see that you know many people in your country, you can try to get them in the directory?
    Please! Actively support the "Directory" by making known to your friends! Thank you! "Unity is strength"
    Not need an invitation to join the Directory. Any person who makes the request is entered
    WE ASK YOU TO FOLLOW OUR BLOG "DIRECTORY"
    New on the site
    Ranking of Countries
    Invite your friends know made ??
    the website to raise your ranking in the Country

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog, nice atmosphere, interesting here with you. :) Regards! In my note of
    extraordinary event involving historic steam locomotives. You are cordially invited! :)
    I hope you enjoy it. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete