Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"an obsession for freedom"

"I once had a dreams of becoming a beautiful poet, but upon an unfortunate series of events, saw those dreams dashed and divided like the million stars in the night sky that I wished on over and over again, sparkling and broken.
But I didn't really mind because I knew that it takes getting everything you ever wanted, and then losing it, to know what true freedom is." - "Ride" voiceover
I was listening to a random playlist last week when Lana Del Rey's cover of "Chelsea Hotel No 2" began to play. I was immediately struck by how haunting and lovely her rendition of the song was—it's been a while since I last listened to music that really got to me.

***

On the last day of school of my freshman year, I read Morgan Matson's Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, a novel about two teens who end up on a spontaneous and classically all-American road trip, complete with national parks, endless playlists, and late night secrets spilled under the stars. I was fifteen and nearly ready to start what later became one of my most memorable summers, and that night, I went to bed nostalgic for an adventure I haven't had.

Three years later and here I am, nostalgic once again for that same Road Trip Americana vibe. Maybe it's because I'm about to graduate high school, or maybe it's simply because summer is around the corner, but I'm suddenly in the mood for a cross-country adventure under the open sky, or at the very least, the idea of it. Lately I've been really into faded denims, floaty white laces à la The Virgin Suicides, gold-rimmed aviator sunglasses and beat-up caramel leather boots.

Listening to Lana Del Rey's music has only fueled my obsession with discovering both a past and a future I haven't had yet.

xoxo, vivian

2 comments:

  1. You have great Ideas and a interesting blog, i really like it!
    what you think, wanna follow each other?
    I would be happy :-)

    Kiss from Swiss
    schuhRei.ch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vivian!

    Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and it's sad that you don't have time to play online games anymore! Boo! Me too actually T_T

    Lol I hope you don't mind but I read through your whole 3 posts and PLEASE DEAR, with your GREAT writing skills, PLEASE, do NOT blog ONLY about fashion lol, it's such a waste >.> I actually love a good read online and seriously lady, yours is one of the best I've seen out there in my few months on Blogosphere.

    You are witty, you have a way with your words and your writing skill on the whole is simply awesome. Especially this new post, I really just like the way you word things and build all those images in my mind.

    Seriously great you found me, because now I get to know another blogger who actually writes, and is really good at that! So I've followed you so that I can keep up with you easily <3

    Welcome back to the blogging world, Vivian! You are probably the sensei here since you have been blogging long before =P

    mish
    www.mishberries.com

    ReplyDelete